2007-03-20

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom: the mini-review

Because I am oh-so-qualified to critique software I have used the beta and trial version of:

* click-anywhere to adjust colors/curves? sweet.

* fast!

* Error occurred attempting to switch modules?!?! Take your modules and burn them, mister.

* Stacks? What stacks? Oh _those_ stacks. How am I supposed to know that's a stack? Oh that thin grey line amongst all that other grey? I must be blind!

* Virtual copies. Ah yes, it is, isn't it (a virtual copy of Aperture, that is). Oh I don't like that virtual copy lets delete it. ARGH! Where did all my copies of that photo go?!?! *rips hair out*

* Non-locking export... nice.. but I'm just an amateur so it doesn't affect me so much

* interface? meh.

* raw decode: pretty nice.

* I can hide the top bar? Awesome. Hang on, how do I know when my export has finished? *grumble*

* Is there an option to auto-delete images off my camera after importing? I can't find it (and yes, I do like to use this option)

Conclusion: an excellent piece of software written by hard-working, well-meaning software developers who undoubtedly love photography, post-production and should be proud of what they have done. Yet I am perplexed and disappointed in my inability to love it. Perhaps I was spoilt by my brief affair with the Aperture demo. *sheds a tear*

Hm, maybe if I squint at iPhoto really hard it will start to look like Aperture.

PS. If I am thoroughly introspective... do I really need a digital workflow app like Lightroom or Aperture? No. Do I really need to have nicely keyworded photos so that in 5 years time I can show Ryan the photo of him with the yellow tractor toy? No. But might it come in handy when I take 200+ photos at a family birthday party? Ohhhhh yeah.

No comments: